What is a cell?


A cell is a base transceiver service area as seen by the mobile station (MS). A cell uses a specific set of frequencies.
  
There are two  types of cells:

Omni cells:
An omni cell is a cell where the antenna transmits omni-directional. The coverage area of an omni cell is in principle a hexagon/circle, but in reality a rough pattern.

Sector cells:
A sector cell is a cell where the antenna transmits directional. 
Examples of sector cell types are:
-           2-sector cells (e.g. for highways)
-           3-sector cells.

The following figure shows examples of different cell types


  Sector vs. omni cells

Advantages of sector cells are (compared to omni cells):
          Increased coverage area per site (by the use of higher gain antennas)
•           Possibility of mechanical tilting antennas (to reduce unwanted interference)
•           Simpler antenna mounting (reduced clearance to prevent interaction with other antennas).

Disadvantages of sector cells are:
•           More equipment required at each site
•           Greater environmental impact (more antennas)
•           Longer frequency re-use distance for a given C/I
•           Increased cell handovers.

2 comments:

Jan Afridi said...

I am following you blog from many day and i found very useful content in your blog. Thanks for spending your on writing such an amazing articles. I am also working on this and recently I publish an article Improving Coverage and Capacity in cellular system. I would like that you read my article and share your valuable opinion on my article ... Thanks

Jan Afridi said...

I am following you blog from many days and I found wonderful content on your site. I am also spend time on writing article and I would if you read my recent article on Improving coverage and capacity of Cellular Network and share your valuable suggestion on it ...